SFPD OIS from 2011-March 2018:
The Disproportionate Killing of Black and Brown People!
This report summarizes demographic data about officer-involved shootings (OIS) in San Francisco from 2011 to 2018. It is based on information collected in our data set of “SFPD OIS, Scandals and Impunity 2011-2017,” updated with the latest killings to date in 2018. The data set can be found online at www.justice4luis.org.
Confirmed: African-Americans and Latinos are disproportionately killed by SFPD
Between 2011 and March 2018, there were 54 officer-involved shootings (OIS) carried out by San Francisco police officers. On average there were 8.5 OIS per year from 2011-2017.
Of those 54 OIS:
- 24 were fatal and 30 were non-fatal, i.e. 44% were fatal and 56% were non-fatal
- 63% of those killed in a fatal OIS, whose race we know, were people of color, primarily Latino and Black
Black people are 6 times more likely to be shot and killed by SFPD than white people in the City. Latinos in San Francisco are 3 times more likely to be shot and killed by SFPD than white people in San Francisco. This based on the following:
- Hispanics comprise 14.7% of the population of San Francisco, but represented 29% of all those killed. (1.97 times overrepresented)
- African-Americans comprise 5.9% of the population of San Francisco, but represented 25% of all those killed. (4.2 times overrepresented)
- Caucasians comprise 41.7% of the population of San Francisco, but represented 29% of all those killed. (.69 times underrepresented)
Based on our report D.A. Gascón’s Scorecard on Police Accountability: OIS 2011-March 2018, we know that no OIS—whether fatal or non-fatal—from 2011-March2018 has resulted in charges against officers involved. In those investigations closed, D.A. Gascón stated that there was either insufficient evidence to show wrongdoing or that officers acted lawfully. Find our report online!
PDF Copy of this report: SFPD OIS from 2011-March 2018
2 thoughts on “@SFPD officer-involved killings from 2011-March 2018: The Disproportionate Killing of Black and Brown People!”
What are their names?
What are the names of people who’s lives were stolen?
Hi, please check our other posts on this subject: https://justice4luis.org/2018/04/23/gascon-scorecard-24-killed-since-2011/